Thursday, February 4, 2010

Slow Show by The National

Share

Slow Show is from the album Boxer by The National which was released in  2007. Off topic a bit, I have been always a fans of Coldplay. It was my favourite band. But somehow the X&Y album seems to lost it touch. Luckily, the Viva La Vida brings Coldplay back for good because I’m so going to fall for The National if Coldplay fails to produce another decent album after the mediocre X&Y.

national_boxer

The National is an American indie band and is a good amazing band. Boxer is another worth-every-penny album. Every song in the album are perfectly done. Slow Show is one of my favourite from this album. Beautiful and subtle yet with amazing vague intense lyric. The music oh my the music in the song is a masterpiece. I was hooked when I heard the first note. The piano part is an attention grabber.

 

This is a version from AOL (live no piano) and my interpretation of the lyric are as below.

Studio version with piano at 3.00 mins my favourite part of this song.

Standing at the punch table swallowing punch
can’t pay attention to the sound of anyone
a little more stupid, a little more scared
every minute more unprepared

(The persona was getting drunk and no longer pay any attention to the surrounding anymore. Feeling more and more hopeless)


I made a mistake in my life today
everything I love gets lost in drawers
I want to start over, I want to be winning
way out of sync from the beginning

(Something went wrong today, he had made a mistake perhaps a fight with his lover. Everything he love (friendship/relationship…) is a mess now. He is seeking for a fresh start. He want to start over. He want to be good. He is not by himself lately [way out of sync] maybe that’s why he had a fight with his love ones.)


I wanna hurry home to you
put on a slow, dumb show for you
and crack you up
so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
god I’m very, very frightening
I’ll overdo it

(He is missing his love ones badly, wishing to be right beside his love ones. Regretting what he did earlier on. He is willing to do anything just to wish that the one he love is happy. Yet somehow, he scares it will backfire, afraid that he would annoyed his love ones)


Looking for somewhere to stand and stay
I leaned on the wall and the wall leaned away
Can I get a minute of not being nervous
and not thinking of my dick
My leg is sparkles, my leg is pins
I better get my shit together, better gather my shit in
You could drive a car through my head in five minutes
from one side of it to the other

(He is finding himself. Trying to define who he is [looking somewhere to stand; perhaps explaining the part ‘way out of sync’ in verse two.] Trying very hard to get himself back on track but failed/or finding someone to rely on. [wall as metaphor] He need to be focus. Get a hold of himself only then he can reconcile with his love ones)


I wanna hurry home to you
put on a slow, dumb show for you
and crack you up
so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
god I’m very, very frightening
I’ll overdo it

 
You know I dreamed about you
for twenty-nine years before I saw you
You know I dreamed about you
I missed you for
for twenty-nine years


You know I dreamed about you
for twenty-nine years before I saw you
You know I dreamed about you
I missed you for
for twenty-nine years

(She is the one for him)

0 comments:

 

Followers

Melomane Copyright © 2009 Blogger Template Designed by Bie Blogger Template