Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Lights by Ellie Goulding

Share
At first when I listen to this album, Lights by Ellie Goulding. I thought ‘hey, this is really good!’ No wonder she won the BBC Sound of 2010. The whole album sounded ‘fresh’ as it is really hard to find this kind of genres at Malaysia airwaves. Folktronica, a combination of folk and electronica, synthpop (La Roux) and electronica. But…

cover

I don’t know why. But, the more I listen to it the more I think maybe she was over hyped. No doubt there were a couple of good songs in the album with decent lyrics. Yet, the album did not grow on me over the time. I can’t really feel, how she want to make us feel for the songs. Is quite vague. Sometimes, I thought I was listening to La Roux as La Roux also belongs to the same genre. But, it seems like La Roux managed to pull it off and she was just almost somewhere reaching there.

I don’t exactly know how should I comment or feel about the mixing of folks and electronica because I do think that it is a bad idea. But base on this album well, at least it turn out to be decent enough. Still I prefer to give it more time.

No doubt the album gives me a brand new experience while listening to it as like I said before this kind of genres were not very popular in Malaysia except a few or two. And some of the songs in the album were quite catchy and worth listen to like Guns and Horses, Starry Eyed, This Love (will be your downfall) and Under The Sheets. But, I guess this is an album I probably will get over with. It fail to ‘grab’ me.
Well, at least this song was good. Released on 22 Feb 2010. Album 1 March 2010.

6 comments:

Chester Chin on March 14, 2010 at 9:21 PM said...

I previewed her songs on itunes...wasn't really impressed...anyway i suppose you're a big fan of music...check out Rachael Yamagata...she is AWESOME!

jun on March 14, 2010 at 9:43 PM said...

chester: oh yes I am a huge fan of music. and yeah, don't really impressed by Goulding. Rachael Yamagata is fantastic. No doubt about that. I did wrote about her two albums in this blog. You can check it out over the labels at the side bar there.

Chester Chin on March 16, 2010 at 12:23 AM said...

holy shyte no kidding! i saw your post..thats it im linking you on my blog...long live yamagataist (lol its an inside joke)

jun on March 16, 2010 at 2:59 AM said...

chester: oh really? u linking me up? thanks a lot. :) shall check it out.

kitty said...

i think you should give under the sheets and starry eyed another good listen, like me. when i first listened to her..i thought i hated this girl. i recently listened to those 2 songs again, so addicted now.
by the way, heard of two door cinema club? awesomeness. :) i recommend 'something good can work'. SERIOUSLY, you'll get addicted to it.

jun on March 24, 2010 at 12:09 AM said...

kitty: ya she does have a few tracks in the album that is catchy enough. what i'm trying to said is i don't think her songs will last long. after a few months old most probably people will not remember of her anymore. yes, i do heard of two door cinema club. also one of the band that nominated for BBC sound of 2010 right. i don't really like them. no doubt, their songs are catchy in melodies sense but the lyrics is sort of lack of something. kinda repetitive for most of the songs.

oh well, music is suppose to be subjective. so cheers.

 

Followers

Melomane Copyright © 2009 Blogger Template Designed by Bie Blogger Template