Monday, October 11, 2010

The Devil and I by Lone Wolf

Share

Lone Wolf is the alter ego of multi-instrumentalist Paul Marshall. The Devil and I was released on May 17th 2010. The more I listen to this album the more I think the entertainment industry that is so focused on money milking is too fucked up. This album is so incredible yet it lack of the publicity it needed. The Devil and I are unlike any album one used to listen too. Its lyrics often venture into a very dark side of humanity at the same time reminds as beautiful as possible. The album has very rich musicals and lyrics which oozes melodic melancholy. It also sounds very large and magnificent with orchestral moments.

00 The devil and I

Lone Wolf is a musician that sings about death and murder. His often tells his story in a darker side. If Taylor Swift music if fairy tales like, Lone Wolf music is like the witch in the fairy tales, poisoning Snow White with the apple and watch her died in agony, slowly. It may sound creepy and distorted. But, until you listen to this album you have no right to dismiss this album. I dare said if there is a real award for the best music of the year; this album is going to be the top 10 album of the year. There is no way this album won’t make it.

The opening track This Is War definitely definitely is one of the stands out track. The song keep on building up throughout the whole duration. The song lurks around the dark and troubled music tone. However, it also emotes Lone Wolf confidence in this track. The climatic trumpet at the midway of the song is incredible. It’s a turning point for the song. Keep Your Eyes on The Road definitely shows how great Marshall is with the guitar. Likewise, the song keep on climaxing and mid-way through it totally blow people off. That is what I called eargasm. 

Bella-Union-Lone-Wolf

 We Could Use Your Blood, venture into a more simplify and clean and melancholy tone. Marshall guitar skills shine in this track. It also shows his prowess vocal able to deliver unaffected. Coco Chanel once said, Less is More. Perhaps, in music it is the same. Just like We Could Use Your Blood, 15 Letters is a very bloody, murderous, simple and clean track.  “She lead me down the garden path and bled me dry, dry.”/ “She buried me in the churchyard where she wed me long ago.”   The song kind of telling a story of a dead man killed by his wife which his wife is trying very hard to try to forget him. Another song, Devil River also fall into the less is more category. These 3 are very affecting songs. Maybe because it sounded more raw and real since it is less complicated than others.

The Devil and I (part 1) is a full instrumental track. The piano carries the melody throughout. Somewhere in the middle of the track, along came cello to join the symphony. A very mournful track nonetheless. The Devil and I (part 2) is kind of like a continuation from 15 Letters. Its lyric goes something like this “The devil and I were alone in my house last night/He laughed at my joke, struck a match, burned the place to the ground. Never before in my life have I sifted through ashes so fine, To find that my live was all gone, now just pain was all mine.”  It is a very depressing song. The persona rather die in the end. “And my friends have all thrown me a line, but I'd rather go down with my vessel.”

The Devil and I, stirring up an atmosphere of emotive intensity that resonates with Marshall's confessional presence rather than obscures it. He definitely skillful way with words and of course music, masterfully making heartbreak a matter of life and death. The album is consistently good throughout the whole time. It is excellent.

 

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.multiupload.com/4J7815DO8V

 

Followers

Melomane Copyright © 2009 Blogger Template Designed by Bie Blogger Template