Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Dead Waves by Kyte

Share
Kyte left me at a cross road after listening to their first full-length album Dead Waves  that released last month. At times, it sounded like Sigur Ros, the soundtrack kind of music.  Sometimes, it sounded like Animal Collective. At some point, I relate them to Snow Patrol. Puzzle me may the album be, but I can’t deny that I like this album. It convinced me that for Kyte best is yet to come. 

cover

Kyte create atmospheric lush, dreamy kind of music with a tinge touch of morbidness. Though this album is very electronica but with the wistful voice and subtle layers of music the atmospheric approach that Kyte used to have is still very much intact. 

The opening track, The Smoke Saves Lives sets the tone for the rest of the album with its erratic piano and droning guitars. A very engaging beautiful track and teeny bit addictive. ihnfsa the second track which is also the single, start off with a robotic female voice, a very synth pop feel and I just can’t shake the lyric away.
sorry for the first love, sorry as my last one,
the screaming aside,
thank you for the best time,

For the first few tracks of the album like The Smoke Saves Lives, ihnfsa, You’re Alone Tonight and Designed for Damage give me the vibes of the 80s. I guess it’s more probably the synth pop thingy. 

SONY DSC
My personal favourite ought to be the fifth track, Like She Said. I really like how the song sounded the way it did, it reminds me of the song “Cease to Know” by Eluvium. The music is ghostly haunting and spacey like you are in some vast universe listening to the sound of a distant star. Very relaxing, heavily influence of shoegaze. As for the lyric it is very cinematic.
Mistakes are made, in time’s right,
last days are xxxxx (can’t hear) , like she said,
six feet deep down, the eyes closed,
the end called earth, the hand xxxxx (can’t hear)

Fear From Death is still very much 80s feel. Each Life Critical (an epic 7mins long song) is a song that grows, branching out into a soaring robotic rhythms with hushed vocals. No One is Angry, Just Afraid and Strangest Words and Pictures are both very ambient song that is quite unlike the rest of the songs in this album. Not so much of electronica thingy. 

Guns and Knives, Fake Handshakes, Earnest Smiles and Dead Waves are the rest of the song that I am way too lazy to elaborate anymore. These three songs still notably good with Fake Handshakes, Earnest Smiles is a poignant, meditative, trance like song. Dead Waves has a consistent flow of music. I guess just like death, since it is always an on-going thing that never stop. Limited Time Only.

Buy Dead Waves by Kyte

0 comments:

 

Followers

Melomane Copyright © 2009 Blogger Template Designed by Bie Blogger Template